Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Broken but probably fixable


As I reported last night the FDA has finally approved the ProDisc artificial disc replacement for use in the US to treat Degenerative Disc Disease.

"What does this mean?" you may ask. It means that I am one step closer to being fixed, and that means being able to walk without pain in my back, hips and legs and being able to stand up straight and support my upper body weight without the use of a cane and even walk without panting for air and becoming exhausted. This all sounds like the golden strains of some heavenly music to my ears.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but let's not start turning cartwheels just yet (those of you who can, that is). This is the all important first step in the process that will culminate in me having surgery and fully recovering. Here comes the but ... it is the first step. I'm not the first person on a very, very long waiting list to have this operation, and we're not sure our insurance will pay for it.

That second step is a doozy, as they say, and could be the deal breaker here. When I talked to Dr. Balderston last winter, he told me that Aetna "has paid for it" in the past (during clinical trials), so let's keep our fingers and toes and eyes and legs and anything else you have that's crossable twisted up like a pretzel, so I can be fixed. For sure.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to near the news. Remember, the longest journey begins with the first step. And this has things heading in the right direction. I'll cross my fingers and toes. Heck if I still had the long hair I'd try braiding it. Think of all those crossed hairs :-)

Paul aka MacRonin47

1:59 PM  
Blogger Gavan said...

Sounds like a great beginning and I'm getting Ollie involved in this crossing of external body parts too.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Paulette said...

Hang in there before you know it you will be counting backwards and waking up to your new life. I am glad I found you and would like to add you to my Powered by Prodisc blog so I can come back and see how you’re progressing.

12:09 AM  
Blogger zen said...

everything i have is crossed, Ingrid!!! It WILL happen!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

congrats--i know this is only a small part of the battle, but it is also hopeful

9:57 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Gah! I swore I posted a comment but I can't find it! Oh,well! Anyway, good luck in getting it done and pester the insurance company!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home