Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dental Adventures

I went to the dentist on Tuesday. I honestly don't know which was worse, having my teeth scraped painfully and mercilessly by my dentist (during the time I spent in the hospital and flat on my back for weeks on end, flossing wasn't exactly a high priority, I'm lucky I was able to get up to brush once a day. Gross, I know.) or the cab rides there and back. I spent most of the time in the ride uptown hoisting myself up off the seat with one hand while bracing against the door handle with the other to prevent jostling and the pain that comes with it. Getting into the cab was no bargain either; when I finally got myself in and was sitting upright, I couldn't move to close the door. I had to yell at a lady on the corner and ask her to slam it for me. She had been trying to hail her own cab and actually tried to take the one I was in till the cab driver saw that I had a cane and jolted past her to me. ha!

I expected the dentist's chair to be more of a torture device than usual, but was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was. The only dicey part (apart from having my teeth scraped painfully and mercilessly, I know I already said that but it bears repeating, painful merciless scraping I tell you!) was when I had to sit up to rinse and spit. Dr. Goldstein helped me out by elevating the chair and slowly tipping me up to a semi-sitting postion, then handing me the cup of water. When I was done swishing, I had to aim and really spurt all the blood and mouthwash and water out, as I was still about six to eight inches from the basin. I didn't get ANY on me; by the end of the cleaning, I was really looking forward to the spitting.

I feel so much better now that my teeth are clean and white. The next thing on my list is a haircut, but I'm going to have to wait for the tonsorial adventure till I recover from this week's cab rides. And here's something I never thought I'd say, despite the (here it comes, get ready) merciless scraping, I'm quite sure that the experience at the hair salon, what with the shampooing and sitting upright for close to an hour, will be much worse than the dentist's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home